Grandma Maria’s Holiday Sugar Cookie
What is more precious? Time with those you love
having fun? You can have both in the kitchen. My nana embraced that tradition when she would make tamales. the recipe was lost when she passed. I am passing down the tradition of time in the kitchen with my granddaughter with baking cookies during the holiday.
Here is one simple recipe.
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar ( I used erythritol)
- 8 Tbsp Earth blance vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups flour ( I used ALMOND flour)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ½ tsp + 1/8 tsp baking powder
- In large bowl with a hand mixer, cream the sugar and butter until it is very light in color, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add 1 cup of the flour, the salt and baking powder and turn on low. Add the remaining flour and mix until the dough is no longer crumbly and starts to stick together, possibly cleaning the sides of the bowl.
- Wrap in a piece of plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- When the dough is chilled, lightly flour your cutting board and place your dough on top of the flour, sliding it around slightly in the flour so that the underside is lightly coated. Take the same plastic wrap that it was wrapped in, unroll it and place it on top.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to roll it out to 1/4” thick for classic sugar cookies.
- Use the cookie cutters to cut your desired shapes. Place the shapes on the cookie sheet, leaving 1” of space between each cookie.
- Knead the scraps together and repeat the previous two steps until all the dough has been cut.
- Bake the cookies for 7 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for 1-2 minutes more, just until the edges are barely golden brown. They might seem underbaked, but they’re not!
- When they’re done, remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Carefully move the cookies from the pan to the cooling rack to cool completely before icing.